Tuesday, September 8, 2009

ESPN2: Martina and Jimmy Need Help!

I am an avid tennis fan. At this time of year I love to watch the US Open. I enjoy the competition, the surprises (have you heard about Melanie Oudin?), and the stories behind each player.

John McEnroe is the best tennis commentator ever. He's smart, funny, insightful and self-deprecating. So, I suppose it's unfair to compare other commentators with his experience. However, ESPN2: Martina Navratilova and Jimmy Connors need help! Don't get me wrong. They are two of the best tennis players of all time. Both are members of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Yet, as commentators they are monotone and boring. There isn't any camaraderie between them.

What I've learned so far is to focus on your strengths. Conduct a personal SWOT analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats). Determine those skills that need further training and nurturing. Create a personal marketing plan to track the status of your goals. Find a mentor. This will be the difference between scoring an ace or a double fault!

No comments: