Thursday, February 7, 2008

The More Things Change ...

I received an e-mail recently from an experienced marketer working for a CPA firm for the first time and in his position for less than one year.

" ... the stumbling blocks you mention (on your Web site http://www.capstonemarketing.com/recruiting.html) absolutely apply to my situation. I got here and immediately had to put out fires, have lacked focus, cannot seem to gain the confidence of partners, feel like I lack credibility in their eyes, etc. Fortunately, I report to the managing partner who supports me a great deal. I have had some successes and feel like I am making some slow progress. I am wondering what suggestions you might have."

Here are a few suggestions. First, determine the needs and expectations of each partner. They are your clients; it's important to develop one-on-one relationships with each of them. Second, get yourself focused. Create a marketing plan. Utilize a "to do" list or another mechanism to help you prioritize your activities. This will also help reduce the amount of time you spend as a fireman. Third, promote your successes. This isn't the time to be shy about your accomplishments. People want to work with successful people. By sharing your successes you will slowly win the support of those partners who have some interest in marketing. Finally, leverage the support of your managing partner. Work with him to prioritize your activities and promote your successes.

Any other suggestions?

No comments: